There are two significant transitions that employees go through as they move up the corporate ladder. The first major transition happens when they become a first line manager; they have moved from the “bottom” to the “middle”. The second major transition takes place when they become part of senior leadership; they have moved from the “middle” to the “top”. Often, people who are great individual contributors do not succeed as a manager and people who are good middle managers cannot make the transition to senior leadership. Throughout an employee’s career, they should be developing both their management and leadership skills.
How Can Idea Connection Systems® Help?
Idea Connection Systems® has worked with senior teams, middle management teams, and first line managers to improve their capacity to manage and lead. We show managers how to change the way they manage and lead depending on their level within the organization. We train, educate, and coach individuals and teams to help them acquire human, organizational, and interpersonal skills required to achieve success. We show people how to integrate their middle management and senior leadership skills to achieve maximum performance.
Middle management develop an understanding of:
- The business they are in – the customers, products, services, supply chain, and competition.
- Key financial workings and benchmarks of the company.
- The business environment – the state of the local and global economy and how this affects their business.
Senior leadership develop an understanding of:
- Vision, mission, values, strategies, goal setting, and delegation.
- Human competence and team dynamics.
- Human motivation.
- Systems and processes and organizational structures.
- Diversity of thought, as well as physio-cultural diversity.
- How to make decisions, solve problems, resolve conflict, and coordinate and integrate work efforts.
- How to train, educate, mentor, promote, and evaluate performance.
- How to influence up, down, and sideways.
- Develop their vision, mission, values, strategies, and goals.
- Learn the essential skills and processes for making decisions, solving problems, resolving conflict, and coordinating and integrating work efforts.
- Determine the right competencies for any job or situation and then assist with the selection and/or training of individuals and teams.
- Develop skills for mentoring and evaluating people for promotion.
- Learn the basics of understanding and then enabling human motivation to align with the goals of the organization.
- Develop influencing skills and learn an influencing process that will maximize their ability to gain cooperation from others that leads to results.
- Develop systems, processes, and structures that focus on achieving the strategies and goals of the organization. We can also do or assist with process redesign and new process implementation.
- Understand and then utilize the inherent diversity of thought, styles, and cultures that make up any organization.
We assist teams to: